Viewing a home can be exciting especially if its a first home. People tend to overlook certain details and get carried away.
Here are a few things to look out for when viewing a home your are interested in buying.
Tips on How to Get Started:
- Remain objective, let friends and family inspect the home and hear their opinions on everything. They don’t live in your home, so it gives them a chance to tell you the truth about how they feel.
- Allow enough time to view the home. You’re looking for a place to live so make sure to inspect properly before making a life altering decision.
- Explore the area around the home. Have a feel of the neighbourhood and maybe walk a few minutes out to see what shops and transport is available near you.
- Which side is the house facing? You need to see that your home is getting enough natural light. If the home has a garden, you need to be mindful if it’s getting enough sunlight.
- Be mindful of the staging of the home, it may not be to your taste, but it is just for the viewing. Try to picture what you would replace the furniture with.
- How is the plumbing? You may not know much about it but checking water pressure and maybe keeping in mind what boiler is being used would help you get an idea of money and future issues.
- Is the place mouldy? Or damp? You may not be an expert but it’s not difficult to spot leakage and mould.
- Look out for cracks, they may be small, but they can still cause damage depending on where the cracks are.
The estate agent always tries to gather as much information about the property and it’s owner. If the owner isn’t there asking the estate agent questions can be just as beneficial such as:
- How long has the seller lived there?
- What’s their reason for moving?
- Any offers?
- What are the neighbours like?
- What is the area like? What amenities are around?
We hope these tips can help you have a clear perspective on future viewings and allow you to see everything that’s important.
If you are looking for a property in Hampstead or Highgate, you can view our current listings here.